In a nutshell, 2016 was one of my bleakest yet most influential years. Even though it felt extremely shitty and did me dirty in more than one way, I can’t say it’s all been bad. Yes, I took multiple L’s (losses) throughout the year but along with those L’s came lessons. Most importantly I’m still here to tell the tale. I’ve been here time and time again sharing my moments, stories and words of wisdom with you all.
Creating this blog in January was probably one of the best choices I’ve made this year. It allowed me to document my life in a manner that was beneficial to others as they were able to live, learn and grow alongside me on my journey. And it also served as a personal, constructive outlet for myself. I think that’s what surprised me the most, is how much blogging, re-reading the posts I’ve made and receiving feedback from others has allowed me to truly follow my life motto and live, learn and grow throughout this season of my life. This year of morphing into a blogger has changed my perspective and shined a positive light onto all the negativity that 2016 has brought me.
I could sit here and give you a list of the number of ways 2016 was pure, unadulterated crap for me. But I’ve found that it’s far too easy to dwell on the negative aspects of life. And trust me when I say I’ve done enough dwelling and thrown one too many pity parties for myself all 2016. Yes, we should be present, feel how we want to feel in the moment and try to understand those feelings. But we must not unpack and live there. We have to refocus on where we’re going in life, that’s the surest way to our destiny.
As a result of how 2016 has treated me and all that I was able to gain from it, I’m going to do something a little different. I’m not going to give you a recap of all the lessons I’ve learned, you can read my blog post ReasonsforLife’sSeasons if that’s what you’re looking for. I’m not going to list out all the negative aspects of 2016 for me. I’m also not going to do what people typically do and list all my “New year, new me” resolutions that I know I won’t stick to. Instead, I’m going to list out all of the blessings I’ve received throughout this year. In my opinion, the best way to end this year and bring in a new one is to solely focus on the positive aspects.
2016 Stressed Me, Yet Blessed Me
- At the start of the year, I got the rare opportunity to travel to Australia for the second time, visit a new city (Melbourne), spend two months there interning, enjoying a travel adventure and meeting a great gang of new people
- Didn’t land the job of my dreams or any full-time job for that matter. BUT at least I can say I have a job. Though it was supposed to be temporary and may be part-time, I’m able to work full-time hours and it brings in the money to do what I need to and want to do. Because of my struggle to land a full-time job it hasn’t stopped me from reaching for my career goals if anything it inspired me. Every ‘no’ made me grow
- I was able to catch a flight and travel to Vegas for a Halloween weekend getaway and much-needed break to spend time with my best friend and sister — LIT is an understatement of the weekend we had
- The very next month after my Halloween weekend in Vegas, I was blessed to go on a cruise with my family– 2 vacations within a week of each other, who does that?!
- I’ve grown to be more and more selfless each and every day. And as a result, I was able to do a lot of giving this Christmas season to associates, friends, and family. To me that’s the greatest gift of all and true reason for the season
- I may not have a plethora of friends but I’m truly grateful for the ones that have been a part of my life. As well as the people I met this year that were deserving of and earned the title
- Most of all I’m grateful for my immediate family AKA my triple threat (Dad, Mom, and brother). Without their unconditional love, unwavering faith, and continuous support I wouldn’t be where I’m at today. So many people are on their own and don’t have family or anyone to turn to, but not me. I truly got lucky with those three
- For those of you that have been reading my recent blog posts, you know the deal with me not having a car since I totaled mine in a car accident in 2015. It’s been a long time coming, but as of the other day, I was surprised and blessed with a vehicle that I can finally call my own. I named her Lu Lu Talk about one of the best late Christmas gifts ever!
This goes without saying but based on my list alone, I hope I’ve encouraged you all to look past the negative and seek out the positive in all situations that life brings your way. I’m not perfect at doing so but with each and every trial and tribulation the seasons of life bring my way, I’m learning how to adapt and become better each time. I encourage you all to end your year in this way: Recap your year completely and make a list of all the good and bad. If you can find more good than bad, then like I came to realize maybe it wasn’t so bad after all. I’m not implying that everyone’s list will result in the good outweighing the bad, I’m just encouraging you all to dig deep and find the positives trapped within the negatives.
I literally felt like 2016 shitted on me the whole year through. But when I was able to sit back and recap my year; the blessings, lessons learned and growth definitely outweighed all the bad. And I think that’s what it’s all about. Every year is a new season and with every season comes a reason. So going through your year whether it be as ideal as you hoped for it to be in all aspects or not, there’s a reason for it all. It’s up to you to define it, live through it, learn and grow from it.
On that note, as stated before to end this year I’m not making resolutions that I know I won’t keep. Instead, I’ve chosen to reflect on my year as a whole and found the good within the bad. 2016 may have made me feel like it beat me to a pulp and it almost broke me but I’m still here to tell the tale, that’s a blessing within itself. Without any expectations, I’m looking forward to what 2017 has in store for me.
I hope you all have enjoyed part 1 of living, learning and growing with me throughout my 2016 journey and are looking forward to journeying with me throughout my 2017 posts. I’m excited for all the life moments, words of wisdom and much more coming to share with you! I’m wishing you all a wonderful ending to your 2016 and warmest welcome into 2017. Happy New Year, thanks for reading and living, learning and growing with me
Continue to experience the Life of Tai in my next post…
Comment • Like • Subscribe • Share