Since the very minute you were born, you were introduced to life itself. And whether you’re young or old I’m sure life has thrown plenty of blessings and lessons your way, it’s all apart of the experience. Things aren’t always going to be good and go your way and things won’t always be bad and go against the grain. One thing will always remain constant: that this is solely YOUR life and you have to live it on YOUR terms. Now I’m not the prime example of how to live your life because I myself am still finding my way into truly living my life on my terms. Right now I currently don’t even feel like I’m living my life the way that I would like too but I’m working on it, just like I’m sure many of you are as well. So here’s to riding out this journey together and figuring it out.
What does it mean to live your life?
To live your life is a really simple concept, it means to be who you want to be, go wherever you want to go and do whatever you want to do. Easier said than done, right? True. But what’s also true is that despite the barriers you face whether it be you, your parents, spouse, significant other, friends, financial status, job, location or whatever the case may be it’s still possible to be who you want to be, go where you want to go and do what you want to do. It’s all possible because you have this wonderful thing on your side, time. I know it may not feel like you have all the time in the world, especially when you’re stuck in a not so ideal situation, but you have nothing but time on your side. Time to try, succeed, fail, make mistakes, learn, grow, and do it all over again. The crazy thing about time is it never stops, so why should you stop trying to become exactly who you want to be, go somewhere that you’ve only dreamed about or do something that you’ve been yearning to do. Whether it seems like the right time or not that’s usually when it’s best to just do it.
Enough is enough
Everyone has their own reasoning or excuses as to why they haven’t done the things they’ve wanted to do in their life. It may be because they had to start a family sooner than planned, had family issues, don’t have the financial status they need to make things happen, their work schedule doesn’t allow them the time off or vacation days they need or they have other responsibilities to tend to. Whatever the reason, realize this: your situation will never be as ideal as you want it to be, there will always be a bump in the road or setback that stops you from ultimately living life on your terms. There comes a point where you have to say to yourself that enough is enough and start living your life. If you continue to make excuses for yourself then you’ll always be in the exact same spot you’re currently in. You’ll have no one to blame but yourself when you’re unhappy and unsatisfied with the way things are going in your life. So take some initiative and start living!
The start of something new
Excuses to the side it’s time to begin taking baby steps into living your life on your terms. Every little thing that you do will only be one step closer to you being in control, happier and satisfied with your life. Here’s a little push in the right direction:
- Listen and heed to others advice but always use your own intuition to make your final decision, therefore you have no one to blame for the outcome except yourself
- Stand up for yourself, speak your mind, scream at the top of your lungs, let your voice be heard because it matters just as much as the next person’s voice
- Vulnerability is okay and don’t let anyone make you feel otherwise. Cry, scream, punch a pillow, throw stuff around, let your emotions go wild
- Don’t let setbacks and disappointments get the best of you. They may get you down for the moment but don’t let them keep you down, pick up the pieces and yourself as well and keep going with your head held high
- Stop apologizing for who you are, for your laugh, for “looking crazy,” for the way you eat, sleep or act. Stop being sorry for being yourself
- Talk to that young lady or young man that you’ve been eyeing
- Date whoever makes you happy, after all, you know them inside and out better than anyone else
- Stop waiting for the right time or the right person, be enough for yourself
- Stop staying extra hours at work for your boss and always doing what you’re told
- Stop trying to impress him/her and start impressing yourself
- Say yes to going out, you’ll have stories to tell
- Eat what you want to eat, you have better things to worry about than those 300 calories
- Try something that you’ve always wanted to: cooking, yoga, surfing, sky diving, zip lining through Costa Rica
- Wear what you want to wear regardless of the stares or what people will think, it’s your body and you can cover it or not in whatever way, shape or form that you like
- Book a flight or hop in your car and venture to that place you’ve been dreaming of going
- Go back to school and get your GED, Bachelors, Masters or Ph.D. You’re never too old
- Follow your passion, regardless of how long it takes or how impossible it seems to attain
What I’m getting at with this little list is that you should do whatever feels right in the moment, because time is of the essence. Time is always going but at the same time it never goes backward, it keeps going forward. Like time, you should always keep going forward in life regardless of what it throws at you, whether good or bad. Just make sure that in everything you choose to do, you’re doing it for you. This is your life and you only have one life to live, so live it!
Continue to experience the Life of Tai in my next post…
Comment • Like • Subscribe • Share